Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Looking for a Good "Hot" Escape?

There are the legitimate things we need to escape from - abusive parents, a negative spouse, debt, doubt, fear of anything or everything...laziness as a way of life might even be enough of a reason to escape.


For an excellent vice - I'd like to recommend a dance studio. One with large Marley covered floors, mirrors floor to ceiling, and music pounding so loud that conversation or reflective thought is impossible.


This is the chance to let your guard at the gate of your insecurities down and pretend you are the best dancer in the world. This is the chance to be someone with fire and passion and precision. You can be brilliant and glorious and no one has to know it isn't you. Even though, deep down inside - you hope it is you, and will always be - all through the rest of your life. Even when you walk out the door.


Tonight, while teaching my "Hot Mama's" class, something snapped in my left knee while my sprained ankle barked incessantly "Stop jumping!!"  It's hard to rise to "hot" when one knee is on strike and one ankle won't give in and play well with the others.
I keep hoping to escape the ever encroaching knowledge that my dancing days may be over. That the guard at my gate will now only let my brilliant-precise-fire-dancer out for a minute. My inner fire dancer is becoming an ember. Having used dance as my primary vestige of escape this leaves me with nowhere to run and hide. Maybe I just won't walk out the door! Or I could fire the guard. I never liked him anyway.


Reasons to Dance #4: Escaping into who you know you are, if only the guard at the gate will let you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment